Jenny Moore Crowned Manx Champion

The weather was not kind to the twenty-two ladies who gathered at Onchan on Saturday 29th. June to contest the Manx Championship. Starting  dull and misty the afternoon produced some short,  heavy showers and a brief thunderstorm.

On the green the match of note in the preliminary round saw Norma Cowell take on Margaret Tasker, and keep with her up to 15-15, at which point Margaret took control coming through 21-15. The closest game in the last sixteen was a draw to savour as Clare Cooper took on reigning champion Janet Monk, and indeed Clare had the better start leading 14-12 after twenty ends causing Janet to dig deep and take control, allowing Clare just one more point, progressing to the quarter-finals 21-15.

In the top two quarter-finals, Rebecca Leece was in dominant form against Elaine Moore, while Lynda Cadamy had to work hard to overcome Debbie Leece, pulling out all the stops to win 21-15 in a game which had been nip and tuck up to 15-15

The third quarter-final saw seven times champion, Janet Monk, up against two times winner, Jenny Moore. The two ladies stayed together, 6-6,10-10 etc. up to 15 across. Janet, winning the next four ends, giving her a 19-15 lead before Jenny regained control of the jack and did not relinquish it again.

Lil Smith and Lyn Bolton also had a ding-dong battle with the early skirmishes seeing them level at 7-7. Lil then had the advantage to lead 14-11 before Lyn regrouped to go 17-14 up. The next three ends saw Lil get to 19 first, but, regaining the jack, Lyn ran out a 21-19 winner.

Quarter-finals: Lynda Cadamy 21, Debbie Leece 15; Rebecca Teare 21, Elaine Moore 6; Jenny Moore 21, Janet Monk 19; Lyn Bolton 21, Lil Smith 19.

In the semi-finals, Rebecca had the better start, leading 9-2 after eight ends, but Lynda moved up a gear and after fifteen ends was only one behind at 9-10. With Rebecca then racing to 18-10, Lynda tried to stage a come-back, winning another three ends, but had to bow out 21-14.

It was a similar story in the other semi, with Jenny sprinting to a 10-3 lead after ten ends. Lyn is made of stern stuff and fought her way back to 15-15, but could only score one more point as her opponent progressed to the final 21-16.

Throughout the afternoon there had been some excellent bowling and the final was no exception. Once again Jenny was quick off the blocks, leading 12-4 after eleven ends. Rebecca then scored three twos and two singles in the next six ends to get to within two points of Jenny, but could only manage one more two before Jenny took the Championship 21-14. Both finalists should be congratulated on their performances.

Heather Horsburgh thanked all those who had entered and the spectators who had come along to support the event. Thanks also went to the Onchan Club for the use of their facilities, and their members for their help during the afternoon.

She particularly thanked Ann Gale for her continued sponsorship of the event, before asking her to present the prizes.

Ann said it was a pity that more people did not enter this event, but that aside, and despite the weather, she had an enjoyable afternoon watching some bowling of a very high standard.