EVF Mixed Final

The Ellan Vannin Fuels mixed team final takes place at Castletown on Wednesday evening with Port St Mary A looking to add to their three wins in this competition, whilst Marown A will be looking to claim their second win with their only victory in this competition arriving in 2017.

Port St Mary reached the final coming through the group stages with five wins and one defeat to top a group that included Onchan A, Douglas A and Finch Hill. In the semi-final they came up against Peel, reaching the final thanks to winning by a huge margin of 63 chalks (183-120) on Noble’s 1. Peel’s only two wins came from Mike Ashmole and Shirley Corrin with both players winning 21-18. Port St Mary did the damage to their opponents with three wins to single figures coming from Chris Price, Wayne Roberts and Dave McCabe.

Marown A came through a group that included Port Erin A, Marown B and Castletown A with six wins from six games played. In the semi-finals they had the formidable task of defeating the current holders South Ramsey A. The match was well competed with South Ramsey holding an 11 chalks lead after five games completed, thanks to single figure wins from Gill Dixon and Dido Kelly, however Neil Withers had the biggest win of the night with a 21-6 win over Elaine Moore to keep the northern teams lead down. In the second half of the match the Ladies Manx Champion Jenny Moore faced the Men’s Manx Champion Colin Kelly with Colin taking a 21-13 victory. Tony Dugdale claimed a 21-17 win over Lil Smith who battled well, whilst the turning point in the match came with Matthew Keggen performing well to see off James Teare 21-12. With the chalks now favouring the Crosby outfit by just two chalks and the games tied at 4-4 it left one game on the green between Lyn Bolton and Paul Kelly with Lyn performing brilliantly to recover from a 5-18 deficit to level the match at 19-19 playing a short mark under the floodlights on Nobles 2 green. Unfortunately Lyn didn’t send her block far enough to set a legal mark which allowed Paul to set the length of the jack and score the all important chalk needed to win the match and reach the final. Paul just got over the line 21-20 to seal the victory by three chalks 152-149 and the team winning 5-4.